Senin, 30 Januari 2012

International Youth Leadership Conference (Behind the Scene)

Last July I got a chance to attend 22nd International Youth Leadership Conference (IYLC) in Prague – Czech Republic. At first I have no clue and any information about this event. I knew it on early April when my Friend, Aurora send a broadcast message (BM) via Blackbaerry Messenger (BBM) asking about the International Relations and United Nations stuff. I usually end chat when it comes to a BM, but since her question is quite interesting for me so I answer her. She asked me some question on some global topics and since I was online at that moment, so I google her question and bang! It refers to a website : www.czechleadership.com. Then we talked about the conference and had some brainstorming about the essay that we have to submit as one of the conference requirements.

I have some friends who had a chance to travel around the world as Indonesia’s representative because of their passion, innovation and achievement in their fields such as Education, Music, Art, Entertainment, Leadership, Sports, Science and so on. I always read their blog and wondering if I could be like them. That’s one of my dream. Attend an International Conference or International Event as Indonesia’s representative, achieve something but it’s not only stop there…I also want to be an impact for others for my generations from what I have achieved. So when this opportunity knock the door, I said : Why not? I’ll give it a try.

I wrote my first essay’s draft on Early April, when I just came back from a short trip to Hongkong. I remember it was April 9, 2011. I have to finished it asap because I have to submit the essay and the application on April 10, 2011. I was trying so hard on the essay’s topic about the framework of the Millenium Project and the social – economic-political issues in Indonesia. I submit the essay and application the early hours on April 10. Praying for a miracle happen so I can fly to Europe, My dream since 2008.

April 14, 2011. On my dad’s bday. First thing I did was get my Blackberry to call my dad, wish him a happy birthday then check my email. I was shocked when I finally I got a notification from the IYLC committee that I pass the selection and got a chance to attend the 22nd IYLC which will be held from July 24-29, 2011. I was so happy and excited I feel like screaming. I email my sister about the good news and I got two different answers. My eldest sister who is famous with her best believe and have faith in others told me that sure I will made it, my second sister who is a typical realistic person told me that I have to check on it carefully, about the term and condition since I have to pay for the conference, flight, insurance, etc by my self. Am a bit confused and discourage at that time, because I have no idea where can I get that amount of money so I can fly to Europe. My parents was so happy to hear the news, but they can not do much at that time because of some reasons.

I contacted the committee many times and asked them some questions and input regarding the conference an on how I can get that amount of money for the conference and asked them information whether there is a sponsorship or scholarship I can get. Thank got the committee was so helpful I can get all the information clearly. :)

I started to make sponsorship proposal. I made it by myself and I remember I didn’t sleep all night long when am working on that proposal. I sent the proposal to some big companies by my self. Day in and day out, I began to worry because it’s almost a month but I haven’t heard anything from the companies and some companies have been rejected my proposal. I was panicked. It was the beginning of may and I have to get a sponsor by June. That day was so hectic and stressful because I cannot apply for my visa if I haven’t buy my ticket, pay the conference and accommodation for my extend in Europe. Moreover, I also have to prepare my trip to Kuala Lumpur and Australia on Mid June-Mid July. So with a grateful heart, I pray and I pray, asking for a miracle, a doors open and God’s favor.

May 2, 2011. My auntie suggested me to meet her old friends, more like her family because they were bestfriend since cihildhood. I have no clue and no idea who is he, but from what my auntie said to me he’s now a very successful man. We decided to have a dinner at Senayan City, along with my auntie. We eat, talked, laughed and finally talked about the main purpose of our meeting, straight to the point. Hahaha. He asked about a bit the conference and I made a short presentation about the conference and gave the proposal. I found out later that his name is Satria Tarigan and he worked for Medco Oil and Gas company.

The next day he bbm me said : “The Proposal is approved. Just wait for the administrative process”. I was driving when I read it and I feel like numb, freezing and am so speechless. It’s as simple as that. They gave me $5200 and it’s more than enough for the conference fee and accommodation and to fly me to Dubai, Prague, Germany and Paris for 3 weeks. Am so thankful. God is so good!

The next step is apply for schengen visa. From what I heard, the process will take about 2-4 weeks from the day your application is accepted. And if your documents is not complete yet, they wont process your visa. It happened to me when I want to apply my visa from Germany Embassy. At first my plan was fly earlier to dussledorf to meet my uncle then we will go to Prague together and start our Europe trip after the conference. But it didn’t work out, my uncle didn’t send me a proper invitation letter so I have to figured out the other way. Then after I did my research and asked about the schengen visa to as many people I can asked, I decided to apply my visa in Czech Republic Embassy.

The Visa Application process was not easy. It wasn’t going smoothly. The Embassy on Visa application section only open 2 days a week, Tuesday and Thursday. The working hours is only from 9am to 12pm and the officer is only one. The first time I arrived at the embassy was at 7PM and I’m number 26 in the queue list. I thought that I was the first person arrived at that day but I was wrong. Even there are some people used a jockey to started queue from 4 am! Crazy. From my basic mathematic skill, I start to predict whether I would get a shot to apply or not. Unfortunately the result is no chance. But, there is always a shot for a faithful person, right? Hahaha. So I spoke with one of the people who were there and he was willing to swap his number with mine. Thanks to you sir, I can applied my visa that day. The last three people before the embassy was closed. For your information, it was 11.30 AM when finally I can proccessed my visa and I was there from 7am. And, the queue system was so bad. They didn’t provide the queue card so we had to organize the queue list our self, and also they didn’t provide the waiting room so we had to waited outiside on the street without any shelter. And they don’t bother about it. Too bad.

The visa application proccess took 2 weeks. And it got me nervous waiting in uncertainity because it was quite possible my visa got declined even thought my documents was complete. And if that happened, I wont get a chance to apply again not because there are rules regulate it, but I wont have time anymore because I have to lear for Kuala Lumpur then Australia.


June 20, 2011. Four days before I left for Kuala Lumpur. Finally, my visa was approved. Thank You Jesus! :)




IYLC Photo Album :
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2338656786282.143815.1245773936&type=3

and

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2351504387464.144421.1245773936&type=3

1 komentar:

  1. Your writing is very inspiring Meryl.
    I believe a miracle will come if we believe in the miracle.
    As u know, I am still struggling to get a chance to fly to Czech in this July. Since I still do not get a sponsor and is also busy in other activities hehe.
    But, as the word of God, if we seek will surely get more?
    if it knocks, it shall be opened?
    yah yah luck to you.
    Do not forget to visit my website at www.erifsonjenando.wordpress.com
    My Twiiter @ erifson
    semangat boru Saragih:)

    BalasHapus